14th ANNUAL VAST 175-Mile EXHIBITION
January 5 – February 19
Patterson-Appleton Arts Center
Closing Reception February 19, 2022
Patterson-Appleton Arts Center
400 E. Hickory St., Denton, TX 76201
VAST created this exhibition to reinstate our long tradition of showcasing 2D and 3D juried artwork from DFW to southern Oklahoma. Artists living within 175 miles of Denton, TX are eligible to enter this exhibition. This exhibition currently takes place in the Meadows Gallery, at the Patterson-Appleton Arts Center.
CALENDAR dates may change slightly
Oct 20 All Images due online
Nov 10 Artists notified of accepted work
Nov 15 Artists statements and bios due
Fri online a 175MileShow@gmail.com
Dec 14 Take in of artwork 10-5
Tues Gough Gallery, Patterson Appleton Arts Center (PA-AC)
Jan 5 Exhibition opens to the public
Feb 19 Reception 2-4pm
Sat Awards Presentation 3 pm
Feb 19 Exhibition closes
Feb 19 Return of Work to Artist
Please email images of the artwork (no frames) you are entering to email@example.com by Oct 20, 2021. Digital images must be jpg files with 300 pixels per inch resolution and width and/or height on the longest side of exactly 1800 pixels/or 6 inches. Digital images that do not comply will not be accepted. Catalogs should be available to participating artists during the reception on Feb 19.
The Patterson-Appleton Arts Center takes a 30% commission on all work sold during the exhibition so price your work to cover this. Work must remain on
display during the entire exhibit.
The Visual Arts Society of Texas and the Patterson-Appleton Arts Center take all responsible precautions to protect works accepted into the exhibition. Neither group will be responsible for any loss or damage.
PURPOSE AND ELIGIBILITY
The 175-Mile Exhibition, formerly the 125-Mile Exhibition was upgraded last year, 2020, to include artists living within 175 miles of Denton, TX. This VAST-sponsored event was initiated in 2006 to establish a regional, high-quality, juried exhibition for artists to compete and show their work at the Gough Gallery in the Patterson-Appleton Arts Center, 400 E. Hickory, Denton, TX 76201.
ALL 2D and 3D work. No installations.
All artwork must be original, not a copy of a painting or another image. No mechanical reproductions of original work. NO giclee’ prints. Only work completed in the last 36 months will be accepted.
Wall-mounted work must be framed and ready for secure installation:
– framed work must have d-rings and wire (no sawtooth hangers)
– fiber pieces/quilts must have a hanging apparatus able to hang from 1 or 2 nails (e.g. a rod pocket with dowel)
– other wall-mounted pieces (glass, ceramic, metal, etc.) must have a secure hanging apparatus able to hang from 1 or 2 nails
● Bumpers required for framed pieces
● 40” maximum width dimension for 2D work
● 50 lbs. maximum weight for 2D and 3D work
● White or off-white mats only
● Works on canvas must either be framed or have clean, PAINTED gallery-wrapped edges
● Artist name and title of work must be clearly indicated on the back of the work
Work must not have been exhibited in any previous vast juried exhibition.
Images of award-winning entries will become the property of the Visual Arts Society of Texas for the catalog and other printed material as well as for archives, website, and educational purposes.
This is a Juried exhibit. Artists may enter 3 pieces for jurying. Entering artists will be limited to one piece selected for possible inclusion in the Exhibition. The entry fee is $30 for VAST members and $35 for non-members. Pay using the link on our vastarts.org website or through your personal PayPal account with your name and “175-mile” in the note box to firstname.lastname@example.org
or write a check and mail it to:
VAST, PO Box 1281,
Denton, TX 76202.
VAST and the juror reserve the right to reject any work that is not accurately represented by the digital image or is not in compliance with entry regulations.
REQUIRED DIGITAL FORMAT
Use this format to submit your artwork for approval:
(Last Name)_(First Name)_(Title_ of_ work).jpg
One detail image is allowed, use format above.
JOIN VAST (click on link)
MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS AND DUES
- Guest artists’ demonstrations/lectures featured at monthly meetings
- 7 monthly mini-competitions for VAST Artist of the Year Award
- Monthly door prizes for members
- Denton County high school art competition
- Vision, the VAST e-newsletter
- Opportunity to advertise in the newsletter
- Regional juried exhibition discount
- Member’s exhibition eligibility
- Local revolving exhibitions
- Workshop discounts
- Critique group opportunities
- Asel Art Supply, 20% discount on full price
- Voertman’s Denton, 20% discount
- Periodic art material information
- Artist-Day-Out opportunities
- Networking and fun!
Soon Y. Warren AWS, NWS
Soon Y. Warren is a full-time artist, teacher, and workshop instructor, Nationally and Internationally. Her paintings and articles have been published in numerous art magazines and books. Her paintings are in permanent collections of private, corporate, and educational institutions. She is represented by several galleries in Texas.
Mindy Faubion, Vice President of Exhibitions
214-450-2333 or email@example.com
Visual Arts Society of Texas
PO Box 1281
Denton, TX 76202
This project is supported by VAST members and contributors and in cooperation with the Patterson-Appleton Arts Center and the Greater Denton Arts Council.
Gough Gallery Hours:
Tuesday & Wednesday: 11-5 pm
Thursday: 11-9 pm
Friday and Sat: 11-5 pm
Closed Sunday and Monday
Best of Show $750
1st place for 2D and 3D $450
All other awards are given either to 2d or 3d. Total cash and merchandise awards $3300
CATALOGS OF ALL EXHIBITS:
For catalogs from past 125-Mile Exhibitions, click here.