All advertising must comply with the VAST mission, Artists, and community connecting to create and celebrate visual arts!
Members may place a business card-sized ad in the e-newsletter twice during the VAST year (June 1st – May 31st).
The information to be considered for advertising must be sent to the newsletter editor News.VAST@gmail.com by the 15th of the month. VAST reserves the right to edit.
VAST currently sponsors a critique group. This group meets with a Critique Presenter who will critique two pieces of artwork presented by each participant during the meeting. Times and locations are decided by the group prior to their 8 yearly meetings between September and May (skipping December). There is a fee for Critique which is not included with VAST dues. Only VAST members in good standing with dues are eligible to participate in Critique.
Contact Jackie Haugen at WaterJourney@verizon.net or call 972-672-0188 if you are interested in participating as a member or a substitute in the critique group. Members may bring two pieces of art to each meeting for critique.
The VAST calendar year runs from June 1st through May 31st. Dues become payable for the upcoming year NO EARLIER than March 1.
Please join through our VAST website as this allows our Membership Chair to have access to your latest accurate contact information, your artistic interests, and your skills that you can volunteer to use for help VAST. VAST is an all-volunteer organization and relies on the interests, time, and talents its membership volunteers to VAST so our organization can keep on being relevant to our North Texas area artists and art lovers.
In order to have your name included in our VAST Yearbook and online membership listing, dues must be paid by June 1st. If dues are paid later, every effort will be made to include your information in VAST’s updated materials.
VAST members are encouraged to bring a piece of art to the monthly meetings for a member’s choice competition. We vote on our favorite pieces during the break. At the conclusion of the program, we name “Artist of the Month” to our first place winner, who receives a $25 gift certificate for Asel Art Supply, redeemable at any of their locations. The second-place winner receives a $15 gift certificate from Asel. First place monthly winners are not permitted to win first place a second time during the same VAST year.
The mini-show does not take place at the meeting when we have our High School Art Competition. At the May meeting, all “Artists of the Month” bring back their winning piece, and from these pieces, we vote and select our “Artist of the Year.”
All accepted submissions must comply with the VAST mission, Artists, and Community connecting to create and celebrate visual arts! Submissions are sent to News.VAST@gmail.com by the 15th of the month. VAST reserves the right to edit.
“Members in the News”
The purpose of this column in the VAST newsletter is to celebrate the honors and achievements of VAST members. Honors and achievements include acceptance into juried awards exhibitions, receipt of awards, and educational accomplishments. VAST welcomes these submissions to News.VAST@gmail.com. Items that advertise for-profit activities, classes, or services, including commercial exhibitions, are considered advertisements and must be submitted as such.
VAST Artists’ Day Out (VADO)
VAST offers an opportunity for current members to meet on the first and third Thursdays at the Patterson-Appleton Arts Center classroom from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. for a non-instructed work session to create in whatever media they choose. It is a great opportunity to meet and work with other artists. There is no charge for these sessions. However, during this time of pandemic restrictions, artists are asked to contact the VADO coordinator VADOCoordinator@VAST.org
Members are included in the online directory as long as they are current VAST members. Members must OPT-OUT OF this benefit of membership on their membership form. Members may upload up to 4 images to the online membership directory to make those images available to the public.
- Registration fee: $50.00, due at the time of signing up for the workshop. This fee is non-refundable.
- Balance: balance for the workshop is due one month prior to the beginning of the workshop.
- By participant: If a participant must cancel, the VAST workshop coordinator will first attempt to fill the open spot from the official VAST waiting list. If there is no waiting list, the canceling participant is free to attempt to fill the spot on his/her own. No refunds will be made one month or less prior to the class.
- By VAST: If there are not enough participants to cover workshop costs, or if VAST must cancel for any other reason, participants will be notified by the workshop coordinator and will promptly receive a full refund, including deposit.
- Non-members may participate in the workshops offered at a fee that will include the equivalent price of a VAST regular membership ($37 in 2020); they may elect to become a member as they sign up, or just pay the extra amount without becoming a member. Current members will be given first preference in sign-ups for a workshop.
- Workshop Coordinators: The workshop coordinator may participate in the workshop at a reduced charge as approved by the Board of Directors in their annual budgeting decisions. Workshop Coordinators assist the guest artist before, during, and after the workshop. Additionally, they are responsible for coordinating payments and communications with the workshop attendees.
- Returned Checks: Checks that are returned to VAST by the bank for insufficient funds are subject to a $25.00 handling fee payable to VAST by the participant.