ALERT: THE DEADLINE HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO OCTOBER 1
VAST created this exhibition to reinstate our long tradition of showcasing 2D and 3D juried artwork from DFW to southern Oklahoma. Artists living within 175 miles of Denton, TX are eligible to enter this exhibition. This exhibition currently takes place in the Meadows Gallery, at the Patterson-Appleton Arts Center.
CALENDAR dates may change slightly
Sept 25 All images due on line
Oct 5 Artists notified of accepted work
Oct 9 Artists statements and bios due
Fri online at firstname.lastname@example.org
Nov 3 /4 Take in of artwork 10-5
Tues/Wed Meadows Gallery, Patterson
Appleton Arts Center (PA-AC)
Nov 10 Exhibition opens to the
Dec 12 Reception 2-4pm
Sat Awards Presentation 3pm
Dec 12 Exhibition closes
Dec 12 Return of Work to Artist
Note: PAAC staff will not accept or return your work to you. VAST charges $25.00 for work left after specified deadlines for picking up unaccepted or exhibited work.
In case of closing in the fall due to Covid 19 we will still have an online exhibit!
Please email images of the artwork (no frames) you are entering to email@example.com by September 25, 2020. Digital images must be jpg files with 300 pixels per inch resolution and a width and/or height on the longest side of exactly 1800 pixels/or 6 inches. Digital images that do not comply will not be accepted. Catalogs should be available to participating artists during the reception on December 12.
The Patterson-Appleton Arts Center takes a 30% commision on all work sold during the exhibition so price your work to cover this. Work must remain on display during the entire exhibit.
The Visual Arts Society of Texas and the Patterson-Appleton Arts Center take all responsible precautions to protect works accepted into the exhibition. Neither group will be responsible for any loss or damage.
PURPOSE AND ELIGIBILITY
The 175-Mile Exhibition, formerly the 125-Mile Exhibition, was upgraded this year, 2020, to include artists living within 175 miles of Denton, TX. This VAST sponsored event was initiated in 2006 to establish a regional, high quality, juried exhibition for artists to compete and show their work at the Meadows Gallery in the Patterson-Appleton Arts Center, 400 E. Hickory, Denton, TX 76201.
ALL 2D and 3D work. No installations.
All artwork must be original, not a copy of a painting or another image. No mechanical reproductions of original work. NO giclee’ prints. Only work completed in the last 36 months will be accepted.
Wall-mounted work must be framed and ready for secure installation:
– framed work must have d-rings and wire (no sawtooth hangers)
- fiber pieces/quilts must have a hanging apparatus able to hang from 1 or 2 nails (e.g. a rod pocket with dowel)
- other wall-mounted pieces (glass, ceramic, metal, etc.) must have a secure hanging apparatus able to hang from 1 or 2 nails
- Bumpers required for framed pieces
- 40” maximum width dimension for 2D work
- 50 lbs. maximum weight for 2D and 3D work
- White or off-white mats only
- Works on canvas must either be framed or have clean, FINISHED gallery-wrapped edges
- Artist name and title of work must be clearly indicated on the back of the work
Work must not have been exhibited in any previous VAST juried exhibition.
Images of award-winning entries will become the property of the Visual Arts Society of Texas for the catalog and other printed material as well as for archives, website, and educational purposes.
ENTRIES This is a Juried exhibit. Artists may enter 3 pieces for jurying. Entering artists will be limited to one piece selected for possible inclusion in the Exhibition. The entry fee is $30 for VAST members and $35 for non-members. Pay using the link on our vastarts.org web site or through your personal PayPal account with your name and “175-mile” in the note box to firstname.lastname@example.org
or write a check and mail it to VAST, PO Box 1281, Denton, TX 76202.
VAST and the juror reserve the right to reject any work that is not accurately represented by the digital image or is not in compliance with entry regulations.
REQUIRED DIGITAL FORMAT
Use this format:
(Last Name)_(First Name)_(Title_ of_ work).jpg
One detail image is allowed, use this format:
(Last Name)_(First Name)_(title_of_work)_(detail).jpg
JOIN VAST (click on link)
MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS AND DUES
- Guest artists’ demonstrations/lectures featured at monthly meetings
- 7 monthly mini-competitions for VAST Artist of the Year Award
- Monthly door prizes for members
- Denton County high school art competition
- Vision, the VAST e-newsletter
- Opportunity to advertise in the newsletter
- Regional juried exhibition discount
- Member’s exhibition eligibility
- Local revolving exhibitions
- Workshop discounts
- Critique group opportunities
- Asel Art Supply, 20% discount on full price
- Voertman’s Denton, 20% discount
- Periodic art material information
- Artist-Day-Out opportunities
- Networking and fun!